This year sees the club hold the 43rd annual two day working vintage rally. It will be held on Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th August 2017 at Sorley Cross, Kingsbridge TQ7 4AF.
The club's chosen charity for this year is the Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institute and the club hopes to raise as much as possible for this worthy charity.
Our rally strives to showcase our heritage with exhibits from days gone by including tractors and implements, commercial vehicles, motorbikes, cars, steam engines and horse drawn ploughs.
In the main ring throughout the day there are different demonstrations from ploughing the ground, to how you would harvest the crops in the old fashioned way. The main ring events will give you the opportunity to see in-depth working demonstrations from yesteryear. Also there are parades, at different times of the day on both Saturday and Sunday, of the vehicles, tractors and the horses pulling their ploughs.
This year a Dog Show will be held in the main ring, so why not bring along your dogs to see what you can win. This event has been kindly sponsored by The New Inn Pub, Moreleigh which the club thanks. The classess that are avaiable to enter on the day for £1 per class are:
1. Handsomest Dog
2. Prettiest Bitch
3. Dof the judge would most like to take home
4. Best child handler 10 years and under
5. Best child handler 11-15 years
6. Best 6 legs
In the outer fields there are working demonstrations with steam engines, combines and the vintage tractors working, including cutting corn in the old fashioned way with a tractor and binder. Within the main rally field you can see the static displays of vintage tractors, cars, bikes, commercial vehicles, steam engines driving saw benches.
The rally is not all about vintage machinery, it also has a lot to offer for everyone:
- Traditional Craft marquee
- Fully licensed bar
- Children’s Entertainer
- Birds of Pray
- Tractor and trailer rides
- Bouncy castle
- Vintage fairground attractions
- Trade stalls
Disabled parking is available.
Please note that all displays and exhibits are subject to weather conditions, unfortunately, sometimes due to the weather some displays and exhibits cannot take place and we are sorry for this.
To find us: we are near Sorley Cross in Kingsbridge (TQ7 4AF) on the B3194 and there will be signs that will be up to help you get there. Entry prices are adults £8.00 and for Children (over 5 years and 16 and under) £3.00.
Basic Rules and Regulations for the Rally
- No Vehicles, exhibits or otherwise, to be driven at greater that 5-mph anywhere on the rally ground.
- All drivers must be qualified in law and insured to drive the class of vehicle exhibited.
- No more than the intended number of persons to be on a moving engine, tractor or vehicle.
- All Steam exhibits must have a valid insurance disc showing dates of annual inspection and boiler cover. Those without will not be allowed to steam.
- All entries must be insured against third party risks, fully insured and tested as appropriated for road use. The safety officers reserve the right to ask for proof of such items.
- Dogs must be restrained at all times
- No exhibits to be left running unattended. All vehicles to be properly braked or have wheels choked.
The organisers(South Hams Vintage Machinery Club), employees, helpers or land owners(Mr &Mrs Peters) cannot be held responsible for any loss, damage or injury during the event.
In the unlikely event of a dispute, the organisers reserve the right to ask and exhibitor, trader, visitor or participant to leave the site.
There are over 100 vintage tractors with 30-40 cars, lorries and bikes combined. Also up to 50 stationary Engines. The small traction engines that come are always displayed in full steam.
Two-day Working Vintage Rally
Date: Saturday 12th & Sunday 13th
Venue: Sorley Cross, Kingsbridge, TQ7 4AF on the B3194
Entry: Adults - £8
Children (5-16 years) - £3
Programmes - £1.50
Open daily from 10am
In aid of : Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institute